Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Pets

I wasn't sure what to blog about today. So I thought I would share a little bit about my pets. Or I should say, our pets. When Jeff & I moved into the apartment we started out with a 2 gallon fish tank. We bought 3 fish, Whitey, Beaver, & Lumpy. Well...Whitey & Beaver didn't make it, but Lumpy did and he grew too big for his little fish tank. We ended up buying a 55 gallon fish tank and put Lumpy in there. Jeff thought he would be lonely so he went and bought two more goldfish. They were just the feeder goldfish, 15 cents each. We named the other two Bumpy & Stumpy. Lumpy, Bumpy & Stumpy grew to be over 12 inches long each. They were able to weather the move from the apartment into the house. We hired a professional fish guy to move them.

After we moved and they got bigger and bigger we started feeding them Koi food because they were so big. They were doing really well but right before Christmas in 2006 they must have gotten a bad batch of food because they all died within a few hours of each other. It was devastating to watch them die. We couldn't "flush" them because they were so big.

Jeff & I cleaned out the tank and got it set back up and we went to the pet store and bought two medium-small koi. We named them Feisty & Leroy. They were smart fish. You could walk over to the tank and say their names and they would swim up to you. They also grew very big. Feisty was over 16 inches long and Leroy was about 14 inches long. We ended up having to get rid of them because they had no room to swim in the tank. We sold them to the mother-in-law of a person I worked with at the time. She had a koi pond at her house.

Before we got rid of the fish we "adopted" two cats. They were the cats of our neighbor's boss. She had to get rid of them and they knew we wanted cats. They came to us named Ziggy & Roach. Hmmmm..not something I would name my cats. The gray cat ended up sitting under our couch and wouldn't come out and the black cat...well he just hung out. We started calling the black cat Bubba and the gray cat just stayed under the couch. I laid on the floor and started saying names to him. He finally came out when I called him Jimmie. So we now have Bubba Lou and Jimmie Jay.

They are great cats. They are so spoiled. They would stare at the fish tank and occasionally I would find Bubba on top of the filter, swatting at the fish. Mind you, the fish were almost as big as Bubba :) When we got rid of the fish the cats would sit in front of the tank looking at it. We ended up putting the tank in another room where the cats couldn't see it because it made us sad to see them missing their fish friends :)


We eventually sold the fish tank and just have our two "babies" now. They are truly babies. They are spoiled rotten. They each have a bed, they have their own fleece blanket, they have little houses to sleep in, and they have tons of toys. We found these little "bugs" that the cats both love and we love watching them chase the bugs. They will sleep with us, they know when I don't feel good, and they are just good cats. Occasionally we will catch them on top of the cupboards or in spaces that just crack us up. We have a suitcase in our closet and Bubba likes to sleep on top of the suitcase, surrounded by my hanging clothes. They also like to sleep in odd places. I have found Bubba in the bouncy seat that someone gave me or even in the infant car seat. Bubba also liked the baby travel swing. I think he was sad when I took it up to my mom's house.

So anyways...that is our little family...our family of myself, Jeff & two kitties :)

No comments:

Post a Comment